(Makes 20 cookies)
8 ounces almond paste
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites, room temperature
2 teaspoons Amaretto (or almond extract)
½ cup cacao nibs
½ cup chopped pistachios
12 maraschino cherries, chopped and blotted dry (or ½ cup chopped dried cherries)
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, blend the almond paste, sugar, salt, and egg whites until the mixture is a smooth paste.
3. By hand, stir in the nibs, nuts, cherries, and lemon zest.
4. Scoop the dough into 1-inch balls and press down slightly with dampened fingers to flatten the tops.
5. Bake the cookies for 35 minutes, until they're brown around the edges. Allow to set for 5 minutes before transferring the cookies to a cooling rack.
- Against The Grain