Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pumpkin Pie


Despite the fact that it was 90-something degrees yesterday, and will be again today, I am in the mood for fall and pumpkin pie : ) I already have an egg-free pumpkin pie made with gelatin, but I wanted a vegan version too, like my vegan pumpkin chai bars. So after reading this comment on my vegan pumpkin chai bars I decided to try turning it into a pie myself:

"Thanks SO much for this yumminess!! I made this last night for my family and followed your recipe exactly... except I put it in a pie pan and made it a pumpkin pie. I had to double the filling, and I also baked the crust for about 10 minutes to give it a drier, toastier flavor. But it was a hit (even with my son who claims to not like pumpkin pie!) I loved the cardamom-chai-spiciness of it."

I left out the cardamom in this pumpkin pie, but I'm sure it would be really good with it too. Whether you make yours pumpkin chai or just pumpkin, I hope you love this recipe, and thank you Dottie for inspiring it! xoxo


Vegan Pumpkin Pie, no-bake
gluten-free, grain-free, egg-free, dairy-free


Crust:

Add to food processor:

2 cups almond meal flour (I use Bob's) or ground walnuts*
8 soft pitted dates (soak first if they are dry)
1 tsp cinnamon

Puree until it begins sticking together. 

Press into a deep ceramic pie dish.
Note: You don't need to grease or line the dish first. The raw crust won't stick.

Filling:

Add to a small pot:

1.5 cups coconut milk
1.5 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup coconut sugar (which is low glycemic index)
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 to 3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 1/8 tsp ground cloves
Optional (for chai flavor): 1/2 tsp cardamom

Simmer till coconut sugar is just dissolved.

Add:
4 tsp agar powder (Not flakes! You would need far more if you use flakes!)

Whisk agar powder  vigorously while simmering for about one minute.

Pour over crust.

Refrigerate to set.

I prefer to eat it room temperature.

*Ground walnuts are my favorite. I think they create a crust that tastes similar to a graham cracker crust.  But I used almond flour in the photo above.
-The Spunky Coconut

0 comments: