Thai Basil Chicken SoupIngredients:
1 (13 oz) can coconut milk
about 1 inch fresh peeled ginger (or more to taste)
2 tablespoons packed fresh Thai basil
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 & 1/2 cups packed fresh washed spinach
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup finely chopped carrots (about 3 whole carrots)
about 2 cups, cabbage, finely chopped
4 cups chicken stock (recipe below)
about 2 pounds chicken breast
Note: This makes enough for leftovers. You can cut it in half if you prefer (or if you have a small crock pot).
1) Blend the coconut milk, ginger, basil, salt, and spinach until smooth. Set aside.
2) Add the rest of the ingredients (onion, pepper, carrots, cabbage, broth, and chicken) to the crock pot.
3) Pour the puree from the blender in with the rest of the ingredients in the crock pot, and set it to 4 hours high.
4) After 2 hours remove the lid so that it can reduce slightly for the rest of the time.
5) When another 2 hours have passed turn the crock pot off, shred the chicken, and serve the soup.
Use leftover bones to make broth! Throw them back into the crock pot. Add half of an onion, some peeled cloves of garlic, some parsley, a dash of apple cider vinegar, and some salt, then fill the crock pot about 2/3 full with water. Set it to 10 hours low. In the morning strain the broth.
Now that you have your broth you can make soup!
- The Spunky Coconut