Friday, August 17, 2012

A Recipe from Beth

Hi Beth,
I've been gluten free for 8yrs.  I have adjusted to the new foods just fine but recently came across a wonderful pound cake my grandmother made.  I would love to have it again!  Here's the recipe:

1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 pkg instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
¾ "Wesson" oil
¾ c. sherry wine
½ tsp nutmeg

Mix all ingredients for 5 min at medium speed.  Pour into greased & floured tube pan.  Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.

My questions:  I can probably sub the cake mix easily?  Any brand recommendation?
What about the instant vanilla pudding?  Jell-O brand?
Wesson oil - can it be canola oil?
Biggest question - the sherry wine!  What to do???  It's not a decent cake without it!
Do you think I need to alter any other ingredients or cooking time?
Of course I haven't tried making it as I don't know what to do about the alcohol (I'm very confused with various alcohols and what to look for or questions to ask).

I beg you - Can you please help me make grandmother's cake again?
Many thanks,  Please feel free to put the recipe on the web - I love sharing good food!
Peggie K., Philadephia, PA


Dear Peggie,

First, let's set the record straight about alcohol. Any distilled spirits are safe as the gluten molecule is captured in the distillation filters. In addition, wines are made from grapes and are gluten-free. This includes sherry and brandy.   The only alcohol to be avoided is most beer as it is fermented barley hops and liquor that is fortified with additional grain alcohol and added after the distillation occurs.

With that in mind, this cake sounds yummy. Here's how I would make it over.

  • You don't mention the size of the yellow cake mix which will be key to making this over successfully. In looking at the recipe and checking similar recipes on the internet, I suspect this calls for an 18.25 ounce box of cake mix. You can replace that with 18.25 ounces of a gluten-free cake mix such as Gluten-Free Pantry Old Fashioned Cake Mix.

  • Again, we don't have the size for the instant pudding, but a small box is 3.4 ounces. That seems pretty standard. So use a package of Jell-O or other gluten-free instant vanilla pudding.  

  • Replace Wesson Oil with the same amount of Canola oil although both are both gluten-free.

  • Sherry wine is gluten-free. (See above.) Purchase Dry Sherry or Cream Sherry from a liquor store. The Cooking Sherry brands sold in the grocery store have added ingredients such as salt and can make your cake too salty. If you don't want to use sherry, try replacing it with the same amount of orange or apple juice.

  • Follow preparation and baking instructions as above. 
Enjoy! Beth

-Beth Hillson Weekly Newsletter, August 15, 2012

0 comments: