from Well Fed 2
by Melissa Joulwan
Serves 2-4 | Prep 15 minutes| Cook 35 minutes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon plus 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium green pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium red pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1 cup canned chunk pineapple, packed in its own juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons Jerk Seasoning
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (choose a gluten-free brand like McCormick)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
First, brown the chicken.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil and allow it to melt.
- Brown the chicken – cooking in batches, if necessary – until golden all around, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan as it browns and place in a bowl to catch the juices.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil to the pan.
- Sauté the onions, peppers, and arrowroot until the vegetables are just-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the juice from the pineapple chunks and add them to the pan; stir-fry until they begin to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and Jerk Seasoning, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the lime juice and stir, scraping up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the vanilla and coconut milk, stirring to combine.
- Place the chicken in the sauce and pour in any accumulated juices.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, until the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
Jazz up your meal with these naturally gluten-free additions!
Avocado: Top your plate with diced avocado and a spritz of lime juice.
Toasted nuts: Sprinkle your plate with crushed toasted pecans or macadamia nuts.
Cauliflower rice: Serve on a bed of oven-roasted cauliflower rice.