Saturday, June 23, 2012

Restaurant Experiences Far and Near

  " If you go to Hawaii, it would be important to talk to the chef when you first arrive. The positive thing is I found two wonderful restaurants, one in Kauai ( Kapaa, Ha.), Sweet Marie's Hawaii, Inc. 808-823-0227. Her name is Marie Cassel. Her website is www.sweetmarieskauai.com. She has a dedicated bakery with lots of yummy stuff ( including pineapple muffins). She also has mixes that she makes. The in Maui ( 95 E. Lipoa St. #101 Kihei, Hi. 96753 is a place called Fabiani's Bakery and Pizzeria. It is fabulous!! They have desserts, pizzas, pasta and are open for breakfast. Also, in Honolulu there is a place called The Tiki. I don't have the address handy. It's on Wakiki. They have a GF menu.
 
    I also have an alert about McMennamins and Subway. When I went to get a sandwich at Subway ( Heritage, Orchards), I noticed that they were reaching into the veggies, etc. with their gloves and then touching the breads and then putting them back in. So, I told them this was a contamination issue when we order GF sandwiches. They said well, if you have celiac disease you need to tell them, so they would get yours out of the back. I said in all the time I've been in there they have never asked me. Anyway, it is an issue. If you get a subway sandwich, you need to ask them to get your condiments, veggies, cheese, etc. from the back, or it won't be GF. The one at Clackamas said they can't do that. Then at McMennamins, you are supposed to be able to get just about any sandwich. The last time I went to order a hamburger ( they do have buns) at Mcm at Clackamas, the cook came out and asked if I realized that my bun would be cooked, handled mixed in with, etc. with the  wheat ones. She said if you have a real problem, you shouldn't eat it. That was also at Clackamas. Now I haven't checked here in Vancouver to see how they handle this issue. I intend to call the main office at some point. Thanks so much for relaying this."  Claudia

0 comments: