These Chocolate Truffles are a crowd-pleasing treat and make excellent gifts (especially for those who don’t believe eating healthy can be delicious and satisfy your sweet tooth every once in a while). This version is vegan, gluten-free and has the benefits of coconut oil (including medium-chain triglycerides and lauric acid).
Serves: 24 trufflesTotal time: 2 1/2 hours
- 12 ounces unsweetened dark chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup Nutiva Virgin Coconut Oil
- ¾ cup coconut milk (full fat) or coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Stevia, honey or maple syrup to taste
For the coating:
- ½ cup cocoa powder OR coconut flakes OR slivered almonds (optional)
- Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate and coconut oil together, stirring continuously. Add the coconut milk and whisk until smooth.
- Remove from heat, then add the vanilla, salt, and a little bit of the recommended sweetener.
- Chill mixture for 2 hours or until set.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop a spoonful of the mixture, roll into a ball and then roll in coating of your choice.
- Return finished truffles to the refrigerator and chill truffles for at least 10 minutes, then serve.
- Store in a cool place.